Recommended for: GCSE and equivalent level Arabic
Capacity: 12 places
Creative Workshops represent a brand new addition to the Projector programme. The aim is to help integrate ICT and the use of new digital technologies, software and social networking tools, including blogging, podcasting, vodcasting and filmmaking, into the teaching and learning of community and lesser taught languages. We will use such technologies to extend reading, writing, speaking and listening skills while promoting creativity in the language classroom. Thinking further about the film they have studied in the cinema-based study session, students will have the chance to work in an informal, creative arts environment, with access to state-of-the-art equipment. They will work on a specific creative task through to completion that can then be presented to and shared with their peers. This may involve creating a film review or Q&A style interview in the format of their choice, setting up a blog or creating a podcast.
Creative Workshops will enable your students to:
- Develop a greater understanding of other languages and cultures, through further film analysis and discussion
- Think critically about the films’ intentions, techniques and qualities, increasing their overall engagement in film education
- Be more creative in their language learning
- Engage with technology which is already familiar to them, making language learning more relevant to them
- Make choices and lead on decision-making with regards to their creative project and its direction, from start to end
- Develop team work and communication skills, having shared both the viewing experience and post-screening discussion
- Showcase and broaden their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills through creative activity
- Improve vocabulary range, intonation and pronunciation
- Use language for a real purpose to a real audience
Every Arabic, Italian, Mandarin and Urdu study session that we offer will be accompanied by two Creative Workshops taking place on different days. It is important to note that the Creative Workshops are optional to attend and can be booked separately as an ‘add-on’ to the cinema-based study sessions. However, in order to attend the Creative Workshops students must have first attended the preliminary study session. Places are limited, so please book early to avoid disappointment.
This event is open to 14-19 year olds and their personal tutors only.
If you and your students are unable to attend the Creative Workshops on the dates detailed here, Cornerhouse Creative Projects can arrange a customised Creative Workshop to take place in your school or college. If you are interested, please email email@example.com for a quote and further details.