From grassroots guerrilla filmmakers to production companies, the film community is thriving in the North West. Join us for an evening screening where you’ll discover a selection of short films that are being produced right here on your doorstep. The entire programme is selected by a panel of audience members.
Programme Details (in alphabetical order)
- All the clothes we left in the closet / Emma Swirkowski & Matthew Rawcliffe / GB / 04:10
A short film exploring queer intimacy and identity through contemporary dance and movement.
- Anyone Who Sees / Emily Ritchie / GB / 03:01
When a young girl is told the story of the Yeti by her Grandmother, she goes out in search of the mysterious creature herself.
- As The Jet Engine Recalls / Juan Palacios / GB / 11:21
The reaction engine takes its name from the elemental law of physics: every action is followed by an equal, opposite reaction. Therefore, as it thrusts forward, she falls behind. Somewhere between two time zones, between the awake and sleeping mind, between the white noise and voice over of the airplane’s intercom, undeclared by the four cardinal points.
- Heidi / Fatema Abdoolcarim / GB / 07:08
A novel filmmaker befriends a young Cuban girl on the cusp of womanhood. Fascinated by her expression of innocent girlhood pleasure, she attempts to make a film to capture it.
- I Am Not Robot / Jasmine Maia Calland / GB / 03:05
A dance short that questions the regimented normality in the workplace.
- Janky.mov / Dir. M. Shepherd / GB / 03:06
This is a short film which is the opposite of food porn.
- Norteños / Dir. Grandmas / GB / 07:58
Barry attempts to elicit the help of his former lover to solve a serious issue involving his grandmother.
- Oscar’s Bell / Chris Cronin / GB / 12:15
Duncan and his dog Oscar have gone on their weekly camping trip into the wilderness together. When Duncan looks out into the woods, something else looks back.
- Pit Beginnings / Morven Oliver-Larkin and Katinka Schlette / GB / 13:07
A documentary short exploring memory, place, and family history using the perspective of one resident of Stoke-on-Trent and various archive materials.
- Swansong / Joseph Lynn / GB / 03:53
A dying angel embarks on the next stage of his journey. Starring Noel Fielding
- The Bird With The Red Hat / Dir. Zineb Berrais / GB / 03:16
Animation. A little girl befriends an old painter and his little bird as she waders on a journey across modern and old Algiers on a quest to return a very precious item.
- The Book of Blood / Liam Harris / GB / 03:34
A grizzled traveller seeks a deep dark secret amongst the shelves of an old bookstore; only to discover some secrets are buried for a reason.
- The Boys / Benjamin Green / GB / 03:41
Experimental Documentary. A meditation on the complex pressures of masculinity in ‘young men’.