Propel is HOME’s platform for artists to play with new ideas, experiment and try out new ways of working. Curated by award-winning theatre company Clean Break we are inviting artists to explore the theme ‘speaking truth to power’.
Clean Break pride themselves on handing a megaphone to women who are marginalised and shouting out on behalf of those who have been silenced- show us how you can speak up on behalf of something you care about.
Clean Break was set up in 1979 by two women prisoners who believed that theatre could bring the hidden stories of imprisoned women to a wider audience. Still the only women’s theatre company of its kind, Clean Break has remained true to these roots, and continues to inspire playwrights and captivate audiences with ground breaking plays on the complex theme of women and crime.
We are delighted to be partnering with Clean Break in their 40th anniversary year on this Propel evening.
What we’re looking for:
- Writing that lights a fire under the audience – something with a call to arms
- Work that doesn’t fit into the standard tradition of play-writing
- Work that actively explores the relationship between spectator and performance
- Work that is at a very early stage of development
What we’re not looking for:
- Traditional plays
- Very tech-heavy ideas
- Fully developed pieces
Who can apply:
- Anyone 18+
- Anyone wanting to test out an idea in front of an audience
What you get:
- Each act taking part will receive £100 + tech support and HOME mentor support
- The selected acts will last no longer than 15 minutes
- If the £100 would not cover your access needs we have additional funding available
- Propel will take place in Theatre 2 on Wed 18 Sep, as part of Orbit Festival
Fancy taking part?
Please also take two minutes to fill in this Equal Opportunities and Monitoring form.
We believe HOME is a venue for everyone, and we wouldn’t want circumstances beyond your control preventing you from applying for this opportunity.