For PUSH Festival 2023 we are looking for two artist filmmakers or collectives based in the North West of England to submit a proposal to create a new moving image work (under 10 minutes in duration including credits).
This commission is specifically designed for artists and filmmakers making work that sits outside mainstream cinema and explore experimental approaches to moving image. We are looking for work that redefines the relationship between visual art and filmmaking practices.
There is no restriction in terms of themes, genre or technique: we encourage films from artists working with documentary, abstract animation, moving image and narrative cinema.
The two film commissions will be premiered in our cinemas and on our digital channels alongside other shorts that will be selected through an open call process for Spit That Out, PUSH Festival’s showcase of North West Artist Film.
We are keen to hear from a wide range of people from across the region. We particularly welcome applications from those currently under-represented in the industry as a result of barriers arising from social, gender, financial, ethnic, cultural, geographic or educational disadvantage or disability.
What we’re looking for:
- We are looking for ideas that are bold, innovative, experimental and curious; work that challenges conventional thinking and forms, is thought-provoking and reflects the diversity of the North West.
- The artist must be currently based in the North West (in the case of a creative team either the lead artist, director or producer). The North West comprises Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Cumbria, Lancashire, Manchester and Merseyside.
- The film should be no longer than 10 minutes in duration, including credits.
- The film can be of any genre or format as long as it falls under the category of artist film / moving image.
- The artist should be able to demonstrate the ability to be able to deliver the finished film by Thu 5 Jan 2023.
- The artist must accept sole liability for the work and hold the copyright for any audio / visual material used in the film.
- The final film must be devised for a cinema setting to be screened as part of a programme of other shorts. We are also looking at the screening taking place on HOME’s digital channels.
- The final film should be supplied as a ProRes file.
What we’re offering:
- A commission of £1,500 funding per artist /collective
- Cinema premiere as part of the Spit That Out showcase during PUSH festival.
- Bespoke mentoring support from HOME’s Programme and Talent Development team
- Marketing support from HOME
- Additional paid development time to work on your commissions. This will be bespoke and we will discuss this with each artist once the commissions have been awarded.
Step One: Expression of Interest
We are initially asking for brief expressions of interest that outlines your idea.
These will be longlisted to around 30 applications by the HOME Talent Development and Programme teams and shortlisted to around 10 applications by our Independent Artist Panel.
- Deadline for expressions of interest: Sun 22 May, 23:59.
- Shortlisted Applications notified: Fri 1 Jul.
All applicants will be notified whatever the outcome. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any feedback on unsuccessful stage one applications.
Step Two: for shortlisted applicants
The shortlisted expressions of interest will be invited to submit a more detailed application.
These artists will each receive £50 to cover their time. We will also arrange a one to one producer support surgery with a member of HOME Talent Development teams to help complete the application. This session will be arranged at a convenient time and on a suitable platform for the applicant (i.e. zoom, phone, email)
These applications will then be discussed by the Independent Artist Panel alongside the HOME producing team. Two projects will be commissioned.
The deadline for this second stage application will be Tue 12 Jul, 12 noon
All applicants will be notified whatever the outcome. All applicants at this stage will receive detailed feedback collated from the Artist Panel discussions if they want it.
How to apply:
Applications can be made via this short online form. All the questions are listed below so you can see what we ask for in advance of submitting your application. To prepare your application offline, you can also download a list of the list of PUSH Artist film commissions questions that includes information and tips.
For questions about your work and your idea there is the option to answer via a written response, or an audio or video recording. If you’d prefer to answer via audio or video, just upload the relevant file when prompted.
Alternatives and accessibility: If this form is not accessible to you for any reason, please get in touch with us at PUSH@homemcr.org or phone 0161 228 7621 and ask to speak to Alice Wilde or Isabelle Croissant and we will sort out an alternative method that works for you.
If you have any question or need support please email us at email@example.com or phone 0161 228 7621 and ask for Alice Wilde or Isabelle Croissant.
What are the questions in the expression of interest?
- Eligibility Check
To be eligible for a PUSH commission, the artist must be currently based in the North West. In the case of a creative team it is either either the lead artist, director or producer. The North West comprises Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Cumbria, Lancashire, Manchester and Merseyside.
- Which member of your team currently lives in the North West of England?
- What is their name?
- What is their full postcode?
- Practical details
These are the details of the person making the application. We will communicate with you mainly via emails. We ask for your phone number as an alternative in case we cannot reach you on time via email.
- First Name
- Phone Number
- email address
- About the project
If you prefer answering in writing:
- What is your idea? (up to 500 words)
- Why do you feel your film project sits within Artist Film? (up to 500 words)
- Please tell us about yourself (or your team) and the work you make? (250 words max). Please include social media handles and website if you have one.
- Any other supporting material that you think will help us understand your idea
This field is optional and we do not expect you to prepare anything extra for that phase of the application. This is only if you already have any additional material you wish to share with us.
If you prefer answering in audio or video
- Please insert the link to a recording of your answers here (5 mins length maximum)
Image credit: Hope Strickland, IF I COULD NAME YOU MYSELF (I WOULD HOLD YOU FOREVER), 2021, PUSH ARTIST FILM COMMISSION 2021