Procession: An Exhibition brings together a collection of objects from Procession, and attempts to contextualise the event within a local historical vernacular. Central to the show is a commissioned film of the Sun 5 July Procession and a set of hand-made banners designed by Ed Hall, in collaboration with the participating groups. These elements will sit within a lineage of historical material and folklore; incorporating Mahatma Gandhi, Jerry Lee Lewis, Yuri Gagarin and The Blackout Crew. Contemporary and old-fashioned, popular and obscure; don’t let Procession: An Exhibition pass you by!
Jeremy Deller’s past projects have included Acid Brass, a collaboration with Stockport’s Williams Fairey Brass Band that linked acid house with brass band culture; The Battle of Orgreave, a 1000-person re-enactment of the notorious 1984 battle between police and pickets during the miners’ strike; and Folk Archive.
Hear Jeremy Deller at the launch of the Manchester International Festival discussing his plans for Procession:
Commissioned and produced by Manchester International Festival and Cornerhouse.
Supported by AGMA and Arts Council North West.
This project has been enabled by Northwest Vision and Media and the UK Film Council’s Digital Film Archive Fund supported by the National Lottery.
- Blog entry – Procession, 5 July 2009“Said more about the notions of civic pride and place than the banal receptacles of spectacular consumption which form Manchester’s recent cosmetically enhanced cityscape.”
- Bloomberg Tate Shots – Jeremy Deller
- Blog video – The Adoration of the Chip
- Guardian Article – Procession & Procession: An Exhibition
- Guardian Film – Procession
Short film about Jeremy Deller’s Procession from The Guardian.
- Metro Article – A chance to be together for Jeremy Deller
Interview and article about Jeremy Deller and Procession.
- ‘No Language, Just Sound, That’s All We Need To Know’
A short video from Manchester Evening News about Steel Harmony, the steel band that performed hits by Joy Division and The Buzzcocks as the final element of Jeremy Deller’s Procession.
- Procession: An Exhibition on BBC Manchester online
Short film about Procession: An Exhibition as reporter Rebekah Crabtree takes a look around the show during opening night.
- Creative Tourist Article – Procession: An Exhibition