What? the folk! present regular music sessions in the café on alternate Sundays, with jazz in the afternoon, followed by evening musical sessions featuring folksters, songsmiths, banjos, washboards and other musical delights.
Commencing Sun 1 April in the upstairs Café and continuing every 2nd Sunday, What? the folk! is a full day of musical tonic to escape those sunday blues, hangovers, the in-laws, or simply to become even more of a culture vulture in between the cinema, galleries or dining. With afternoon Jazz from 14:30 schooling us mere mortals on everything from trad to contemporary jazz and maybe even some bossa nova, the evening soirée from 8pm will feature songsmiths, troubadours, eccentric and alternative folksters and those that will make your sunday evenings worth waiting for.
Sun 27 May
- Afternoon: Matt Halsal & The Magic Bop
- Evening Performance: The Travelling Band, Petty Thief and Nancy Elizabeth Cunliffe
To celebrate the fact that Monday is a bank holiday, What?The Folk? will be a late night event this weekend, with our Café remaining open until midnight.
Sunday 1 April 2007
- The Matt Halsal Quintet (Jazz ensemble)
- Josephine Oniyama;
- Dan Melrose;
- Dr Butlers Hatstand Medicine Band
Sunday 15 April 2007
- Urban Spiral: Bass/Saxophone Jazz Duo. Two fine musicians from the Royal Northern College of Music; contemporary Jazz with a twist.
- The Light Shines ‘dreamy lo-fi guitar psychedelia’ – Manchester Music
- Kathryn Edwards – sobering alt/folk. As serious as it is gentle.
- SR Gents – Hat wearing, bubble blowing gentlemen with beautiful folk/pop melodies, lessons on love, horn blowing drummers and songs as beautifully balanced in French as they are in English from this Anglo-French trio.
Sun 29 April 2007
- Matt Halsals ‘The Magic Bop’ dished up a blend of nu/alt Jazz numbers in the afternoon.
- Wrexham-based tunesmith Laura-Leigh, local folkster John Stammers, and a one off special by Sam Hammond (The Deadbeats).
Sun 13 May 2007
- Afternoon: The Penny Nicholls Jazz Quartet
- Evening Performance: The Otto Show, Liz Green, Denis Jones and Cortina Delux