In this dynamic, one-day event, experience in-conversations, films, workshops and performances, while we ask in an age of technology and new forms of communication, are LGBT voices being heard or further marginalised? An open welcome awaits everyone and, if you want to develop media skills, this event is for you.
Participants will be given a wristband allowing them to dip in and out of any session.
Full Part One Programme Announced!
We’re thrilled to announce our full list of panellists and films for QueerMedia16. Meet top industry professionals from BBC, Channel 4 and Gay Star News, VR specialist from Giznode, the Executive Director of UK Black Pride, executive award-winning theatre creators, the artists behind the @Gaybar project and more! Whether you’re just starting out in your career or are looking to make more Queer Media contacts, everyone is very welcome at QueerMedia16.
12PM Welcome by QueerMedia16 Director Jamie Starboisky
12:15PM – 1:45PM Young Programmers Shorts Selection (theQueerMedia16 young programmers introduce their hand-picked selection of the best LGBTQ+ short films. More info on the programming workshop they attended click here)
- Big Time Doodle Diary (12A)
- S.T.A.R. (PG)
- Breathe (15)
- Little Doll (U)
- Passing (PG)
- Letargo (15)
2PM – 3:35PM FILM: Jewel’s Catch One (a fascinating documentary about the incredible Jewel Thais-Williams, who broke down racial and cultural barriers while running the oldest Black-owned gay disco in America). Click here for the trailer. (12A)
2PM – 2:50PM Live Performance Panel + Q&A (All panel discussions will take place in the Event Space, Level 2, HOME)
- Intro by Sarah Perks (Artistic Director: Visual Art HOME Manchester)
- Cheryl Martin (MEN Award-winning theatre director and writer)
- Shannon Yee (Award-winning playwright and producer creating work reflecting her life as an immigrant, ethnic minority, queer artist with a disability)
- Kate O’Donnell (Legendary Manchester trans performer)
3PM – 3:50PM Future Stories Panel + Q&A
- Intro by Tris Reid-Smith (Founder, Gay Star News)
- Tim Edwards (VR Specialist & Innovation Director at Giznode)
- Zorian Clayton (Programmer at BFI Flare Festival and Cork Film Festival, assistant curator in the prints department at the V&A Museum)
- Abigail Ward (DJ and co-founder of the online Manchester District Music Archive)
4PM– 4:45PM MobDoc film screenings (Screenings of the 60-second mobile documentaries created during QueerMedia16’s MobDoc workshop. The winners of the first-ever Nelson Sullivan Micro Short Award will be announced. For more info on how to get involved in MobDoc Oct – 4 Nov click here.) (Certs U and 12A)
4PM – 4:50PM Film and Broadcasters Panel + Q&A
- Intro by Lady Phyll (Co-founder and Executive Director UK Black Pride)
- Jonni Learoyd (Channel 4 HR Project Leader and Co-Chair of Channel 4 Pride)
- Rachelle Constant (Head of BFI Vision Award-winning Constant Productions)
- Aziz Rashid (Head of BBC North West)