To mark 10 years since we began our sustainability journey, this June we have gone all shades of green to showcase our environmental work and champion change.
As well as advocating national initiatives such as World Environment Day (5 Jun) and Clean Air Day (20 Jun), we’ve also pulled together a programme of additional events, activities and announcements to mark the occasion.
Throughout June we will be screening a selection of climate-conscious films, running staff walking groups, offering free bike MOTs courtesy of Dr Bike and TFGM’s Sustainable Journeys programme, and launching our bee-cam on the website. You can also follow our top tips trail as it winds its way across the building, created by artists More Than Minutes who produced this brand-new piece of artwork especially for our Green June celebrations.
Finally this month we have also taken some significant steps on our journey to become single-use plastic free by the end of the year. Answering one of our audiences most asked questions, we are delighted to announce the launch of our new, reusable cups to replace our plastics in the bar.
“We think that what we don’t do today we can do tomorrow – that mindset will no longer work” –
Professor Kevin Anderson, Tyndall Centre for Climate Research
Click here to find out more about HOME’s sustainable actions and use #SustainableHOME to get involved and share your stories.
Want to know more? Here are a few facts and tips from our green journey so far:
- HOME is the world’s first arts venue to have all staff trained in Carbon Literacy.
- Two honeybee colonies live on the roof above the cinemas and we have four trained staff beekeepers
- We repurpose materials, sets, props and costumes in our theatres and have a network of sharing with other venues.
- Our trophy cabinet keeps on growing – some of the awards include Environmental Business Award Platinum in 2016, TfGM Travel Choices Award Gold two consecutive years in a row (2016 & 2017), Julie’s Bicycle Creative Green 4* awarded in 2018 and Carbon Literate Organisation Platinum in January 2019.
- HOME keepcups are available in the bookshop and bar. Buy one and get a discount on hot drinks.
- We use a 100% renewable energy supplier for electricity. Reduce your carbon footprint and your bills instantly by also switching to a green energy supplier. Go to GM Big Clean Switch to make the change – they’ll find the renewable provider and the best deal for you.
- Travelling to us by bus, train or tram? Use TfGM’s Journey Planner to plan your route. We’re just a 2 minute walk from Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop and Oxford Road Station. We’re also on the free-bus route and have cycle racks outside the building.